Hey Glow Gang!
This is it. The final Glowreel newsletter for 2022. We’re taking a break for a few weeks, and will be back to lighting up your inbox in mid-January 2023. We’re also excited to share some new, exciting things with you in the new year!
Thank you for being part of our community this year. Your support means the world to me and has kept Glowreel (and our mission to elevate BIPOC women) going 💜
This week we’re taking a bit of a trip down memory lane in the newsletter - enjoy!
I hope you have some time to rest and reset over the holiday period. See you in 2023.
Let's get glowing
P.S. If you’re a woman of colour founder, creative or community leader and want to be featured in Glowreel in 2023, reply to this email and come say hi 👋🏽
News Of The Week
Glowing News Stories From 2022 ✨
2022 news round up 🗞️
If you’ve been keeping up with the news lately … there’s a lot of doom and gloom in the air.
BUT, 2022 has been full of really great news stories. Especially stories about BIPOC women!
In the spirit of rounding out the year on a high note, here’s 11 glowing news stories from 2022 that will put a smile on your face:
- Polar Preet completed her solo trek to Antarctica this year. She was the first woman of colour to do so. #proudmoment
- Ayesha Malik was sworn in as the first female Supreme Court judge of Pakistan. And, Xiomara Castro was sworn in as the first female President of Honduras.
- Serena Williams raised $111 million for new venture fund - Serena Ventures. The fund has been investing in diverse founders throughout 2022 👏🏾
- Oriini Kaipara made headlines all over the world for being the first person with traditional facial markings to host a primetime news program on national TV.
- US coins got a melanin makeover in 2022. Coins featuring Anna May Wong and Maya Angelou were rolled out this year. The coins were the first to feature an Asian American and a Black woman, respectively.
- Jessikah Inaba became the first blind, black female barrister in the UK!
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce broke her own record and ran the world’s fastest 100m.
- Two Aboriginal brands showcased their designs at New York Fashion Week this year: Gantharri clothing and Ihraa Swim. We love to see it!
- Lizzo played a 200-year-old crystal flute that used to belong to James Madison. Yep, the former US president. And she twerked while doing it of course!
What we’re loving this week:
Watch - Almost Christmas … because it is almost Christmas! (and the movie is a good one, duh).
Make - Spiced hot chocolate by Nadia Lim. It’s giving 🎄Xmas 🎄
Read - If you’re looking for a fun and easy read over the holidays, check out the book recommendations from the ladies at Amplify Bookstore (scroll down to the end of their interview).
Support BIPOC Women Owned Businesses
Live Tinted x FORVR Mood Glow of Life Kit
$58 (USD, ships worldwide)
Trailblazing Woman Interview
2022 Trailblazers 🔥
Image via: Pinterest
We have featured some incredible founders, creatives and community leaders this year. One thing they all have in common? They’re doing really cool things, and making the world a better place while they’re at it!
Check out the trailblazing women of Glowreel in 2022 here.
You can be a thousand different women. It’s your choice which one you want to be. It’s about freedom and sovereignty. You celebrate who you are. You say, “This is my kingdom.”
Nominate A Shoutout
Tell us about someone doing cool shit.
It can be you, your friends or family or someone else you know. Whether you’ve just started a book club, are creating artistic makeup looks for fun, or are doing some research and want to hear from women of colour. We want to share thing cool things you’re doing with a community shoutout!
Please send your nominations to email@example.com or DM us on our socials :)
If you love what Glowreel represents, please follow us on your favourite social media, and share with your friends and family!