Hey Glow Gang!
This week in news we’re celebrating some brilliant women of colour who made it on the Forbes 30 under 30 list. Plus a reminder of who started Spotify wrapped 👀
Plus, it’s December 1. We’re back with the Glowreel Gift Guide for 2022! 10 of our favourite BIPOC woman founded businesses to support during the holiday season, with something for every budget.
Let's get glowing
P.S. Don’t forget to use our referrals program (linked at the bottom of this email) to share Glowreel with your friends, and win cool rewards while you’re at it!
News Of The Week
The Future Is Looking Bright 😎
They say age is just a number 🔢 And no matter how young or old you are, age should never be a barrier to you blazing your own trail.
The Forbes 30 Under 30 2023 list was released this week. ICYMI, Megan Thee Stallion is on the list and made headlines as the first Black woman on the Forbes 30 Under 30 Cover.
The list is broken into 6 categories, and features young people who are doing some impressive, groundbreaking work. We celebrate them all - and especially the women of colour who are making waves. To name a few:
- Rana Abdelhamid, founder of Malikah. A non-profit organisation that’s trained thousands of women around the world in self-defense, anti-hate crime advocacy, and emotional healing work.
- Steph Hon, founder of Cadence. A company manufacturing travel toiletry bottles that are stylish, leakproof, customisable, and sustainable.
- Kinjal Sha, cofounder of Komorebi. A decentralized autonomous organization investing in crypto founders who are women and underrepresented minorities.
- Brittany Diego, founder of Fashion Mentor. Providing people of colour in the fashion industry with career coaching, training and interview prep.
The future is looking bright!
More News Nuggets
Extra Nuggets 👀
- That’s a wrap 🎵 Spotify wrapped is back and taking over social media feeds. But let’s not forget the brilliant intern who came up with the IG worthy layout!
- Move over, tank man 💪🏾 A young woman in China has been dubbed ‘tank lady’ for standing in front of riot police during the zero Covid protests.
- No more nice girl 🙅🏾♀️ L’oréal Blackett on how being nice at work didn’t stop the racism or micro-aggressions.
- Goal! ⚽ Salima Mukansanga is the first Black woman to officiate at the FIFA World Cup.
What we’re loving this week:
Listen - Enchantress. The latest release by Anusha Savi - it’ll speak to your soul.
Make - Vegan sweet potato pie by Jenné Clairborne, aka Sweet Potato Soul. The perfect treat this festive season!
Trailblazing Women In Business
10 Woman Of Colour Founded Businesses To Support This Holiday Season
Happy holidays Glow Gang! We're swapping out our usual trailblazing woman interview for something a little more festive.
The Glowreel 2022 Gift Guide is here!
Whether you're giving a gift or treating yourself (you deserve it!) the Glowreel 2022 Gift Guide has you covered.
Support impactful women of colour founded small businesses this holiday season, with gift ideas ranging from $10 - $100.
Not Controversial is a free weekly newsletter by Nia Carnelio that tackles topics that shouldn't be controversial but still are.
From discussions around pay transparency, hustle culture, toxic productivity, and more, let's talk about things we're all thinking about! This issue explores how women often bear the brunt of the cognitive/mental load at home.
Great marketing tells a story.
Stories for Selling is the first free newsletter that sends you a weekly case study on how the best brands tell their stories. Plus ideas and practical tips to grow your business.*
Life is short, and it’s up to you to make it sweet.